Assistant Professor (incoming 2023)
Ph.D., Ohio State University, 2015
Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University, 2015 – 2019
Honors & Awards
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Program Award (2023).
- Department of Energy Early Career Award (2022).
- International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) Early Career Scientist Prize (2022).
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2021).
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research Young Investigator Program Award (2021).
- Harold and Suzy Ticho Endowed Faculty Fellowship (2019).
Our research group focuses on developing quantum sensing and imaging technique to study various properties (spin, charge, and heat, etc) of quantum materials in the nanometer scale. In addition, we design and engineer hybrid quantum devices to achieve efficient qubit control for quantum information applications. Our research tools are versatile, including optical measurement based on nitrogen vacancy center in diamond, transport and microwave spectroscopy as well as scanning probe magnetometry.
- M. Huang, J. Zhou, D. Chen, H. Lu, N. J. McLaughlin, S. Li, M. Alghamdi, D. Djugba, J. Shi, H. L. Wang, and C. H. R. Du, Wide Field Imaging of van der Waals Ferromagnet Fe3GeTe2 by Spin Defects in Hexagonal Boron Nitride, Nature Communications 13, 5369 (2022).
- G. Q. Yan, S. Li, H. Lu, M. Huang, Y. Xiao, L. Wernert, J. A. Brock, E. E. Fullerton, H. Chen, H. L. Wang, and C. H. R. Du, Quantum Sensing and Imaging of Spin-orbit-torque-driven Spin Dynamics in Noncollinear Antiferromagnet Mn3Sn, Advanced Materials 34, 2200327 (2022).
- H. L. Wang, S. Zhang, N. J. McLaughlin, B. Flebus, M. Huang, Y. Xiao, C. Liu, M. Z. Wu, E. E. Fullerton, Y. Tserkovnyak, and C. H. R. Du, Quantum Sensing of Spin Transport Properties of an Antiferromagnetic Insulator, Science Advances 8, eabg8562 (2022).
- N. J. McLaughlin, C. Hu, M. Huang, S. Zhang, H. Lu, G. Q. Yan, H. L. Wang, Y. Tserkovnyak, N. Ni, and C. H. R. Du, Quantum Imaging of Magnetic Phase Transitions and Spin Fluctuations in Intrinsic Magnetic Topological Nanoflakes, Nano Letters 22, 5810 (2022).
- N. J. McLaughlin, H. L. Wang, M. Huang, E. Lee-Wong, L. Hu, H. Lu, G. Q. Yan, G. D. Gu, C. Wu, Y. Z. You, and C. H. R. Du, Strong Correlation Between Superconductivity and Ferromagnetism in an Fe-Chalcogenide Superconductor, Nano Letters 21, 7277 (2021).
- H. L. Wang, Y. Xiao, M. Guo, E. Lee-Wong, G. Q Yan, R. Cheng, and C. H. R. Du, Spin Pumping of an Easy-Plane Antiferromagnet Enhanced by Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya Interaction, Physical Review Letters 127, 117202 (2021).
- X. Wang, Y. Xiao, H. Wang, C. Liu, E. Lee-Wong, N. Mclaughlin, H. Wang, H. L. Wang, M. Wu, E. E. Fullerton, and C. H. R. Du, Electrical Control of Coherent Spin Rotation of a Single-Spin Qubit, npj Quantum Information 6, 78 (2020).
- E. Lee-Wong, R. Xue, F. Ye, A. Kreisel, T. van der Sar, A. Yacoby, and C. H. R. Du, Nanoscale Detection of Magnon Excitations with Variable Wavevectors Through a Quantum Spin Sensor, Nano Letters 20, 3284 (2020).
- C. H. R. Du, T. Van der Sar, T. X. Zhou, P. Upadhyaya, F. Casola, H. Zhang, M. C. Onbasli, C. A. Ross, R. L. Walsworth, Y. Tserkovnyak, and A. Yacoby, Control and Local Measurement of the Spin Chemical Potential in a Magnetic Insulator, Science 357, 195 (2017).
- R. Adur, C. H. Du, H. L. Wang, S. A. Manuilov, V. P. Bhallamudi, C. Zhang, D. V. Pelekhov, F. Y. Yang, and P. C. Hammel, Damping of Confined Modes in a Ferromagnetic Thin Insulating Film: Angular Momentum Transfer Across a Nanoscale Field-defined Interface, Physical Review Letters 113, 176601 (2014).
- H. L. Wang, C. H. Du, P. C. Hammel, and F. Y. Yang, Antiferromagnonic Spin Transport from Y3Fe5O12 into NiO, Physical Review Letters 113, 097202 (2014).
- H. L. Wang, C. H. Du, Y. Pu, R. Adur, P. C. Hammel, and F. Y. Yang, Scaling of Spin Hall Angle in 3d, 4d and 5d Metals from Epitaxial Y3Fe5O12/metal Spin Pumping, Physical Review Letters 112, 197201 (2014).
- C. H. Du, H. L. Wang, Y. Pu, T. L. Meyer, P. M. Woodward, F. Y. Yang, and P. C. Hammel, Probing the Spin Pumping Mechanism: Exchange Coupling with Exponential Decay in Y3Fe5O12/barrier/Pt Heterostructures, Physical Review Letters 111, 247202 (2013).
- C. H. Du, R. Adur, H. L. Wang, A. J. Hauser, F. Y. Yang, and P. C. Hammel, Control of Magnetocrystalline Anisotropy by Epitaxial Strain in Double Perovskite Sr2FeMoO6 Films, Physical Review Letters 110, 147204 (2013).