Gil Amelio Awards for Excellence in Research
These School of Physics awards of $1500 are given annually to Physics Ph.D. students to "reward excellence in research by a physics graduate student”. Any student is eligible who has passed the first year courses and has not previously received this award. More senior students will be given preference from amongst a group of similarly meritorious individuals. Nomination forms are sent to the faculty every January with the awards announced in the Spring.
Larry S. O'Hara Scholarship
This award is administered by the College of Sciences at Georgia Tech, and was established by alumnus Larry S. O'Hara. The award will be made to top doctoral students who are scheduled to graduate with a Ph.D. in the calendar year following their nomination (i.e., they must have at least one more year of study). This award will provide a scholarship that covers the mandatory student fees for a year (~$3,200). The nomination consists of:
- (i) The student's GT transcript
- (ii) A detailed academic transcript that includes:
- (a) the expected date of graduation.
- (b) a list of peer-reviewed publications (published and accepted). Include the full citation, a link to the journal website, and the DOI (where available).
- (c) a list of conference presentations. Include the full citation, with the presenting author clearly identified.
- (d) a list of other off-campus scholarly engagement (e.g., workshops, short courses, etc).
- (e) a list of awards and recognitions.
Each CoS school may nominate ONE doctoral student. The call for nominations is in the Spring semester.
The Goizueta Foundation Fellowship
The Goizueta Foundation Fellowship at Georgia Tech is a supplemental award and is designed to increase the number of students of Hispanic/Latino origin who enroll at Georgia Tech to pursue their doctoral studies. The Fellowship provides an additional annual stipend to the student of $4,000 (disbursed in two payments) for 12 months of full-time enrollment, renewable up to two (and possibly 4) years. Nominations and self-nominations are due in the Spring semester. See http://www.hispanicoffice.gatech.edu/programs/the-goizueta-foundation-fellowship for complete information. Both new and continuing Ph.D. students are eligible to apply.